Monday, April 25, 2011

A Time For Reflection

Easter has come. The celebration has subsided. However, there is one thing of a more serious nature that remains to be done. Before the power of the rising has been diluted with life's realities, take some time for reflection.

A while back, at the beginning of the lenten season, I wrote about the power of releasing the control of some issue in your life, a giving back to God what was his to begin with. Now is not the time to revert, but to ponder. What did you give? What did you get? Was it well given or did you struggle? How were you blessed through releasing control? Were you blessed at all? Do you take back that given, permanently release, or modify?






For me it was a struggle. I believe that I did a better job at giving up control of my time and that, mostly, I was blessed by it. When I really effected a release, I was more worry free, happier, and, ultimately, more productive. I don't want to fall into the trap that doing good things is better than contemplation or relaxation, but the area in which I struggled was that of knowing there was work to be done and finding other business to keep me occupied.

The times when I petulantly held on to my desire to escape that which should be done, I struggled. I got defensive, distracted, and self-centered. It also was hard in that I have clung to my time-control for a long time; it is a well ingrained habit.

For me, I need to continue practicing the release of control over my time. I simply do not do as well when I try to control my time as when I give it up and act obediently. I am certainly not as balanced. Going back would be to go backwards.

For others, the return of that given should at least be a source of celebration. I hope, however, that it is even more and that with this reflection each of you find a richer and deeper connection with yourself, your strengths and weakness, with your Lord, and with the path unfolding before you. Through Adam sin entered the world and through Christ redemption. But it's even bigger than that; through Adam sin affected all the world but through Christ, all things are redeemable. The rising brought hope not just for an afterlife, but for redemption de jour as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment