Sunday, April 17, 2011

So Much With Which To Aquaint You

Actually, that is true. As opposed to the last few days, today I could probably write about a number of things. So I will. Be warned beforehand, these are wildly disparate issues; do not look for some form of continuity.

First of all a wine update. For those who enjoy wine frequently but in modest quantity, buying wine can bring the challenge of how to justify a bottle if you won't drink it relatively promptly. Some box wines really do rise to the challenge of balancing taste and economy. I've already mentioned Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel. I will now also recommend the Bota Box Riesling for those who prefer a white. Yes, it is a sweeter white, but not intensely so like a Mamartino or Muscato (although those also have their place) but also without that acidity of a Sauvignon Blanc. The thing about a box wine is that it cannot be too categorical as you will be drinking it over a period of days with a variety of foods (or not). So, with a box wine, you are actual looking for a middle ground as opposed to a bottled wine where you are looking for a niche taste. And it's not that there aren't other good boxed wines. Black Box, for instance, rarely is a mistake. But, to be recommended, a wine must be more than acceptable; for it's category, it must be clearly above norm.

One other wine update; I previously mentioned the Clifford Bay 2009 Sauvignon Blanc. I have now picked up 6 bottles. Of those 6, three were truly spectacular and, for the price, the steal of the year. However, the other three were off-colored and ranged from vinegary to rotten. Two I actually returned. The third I threw away after the store owner said that she had taken the last returned bottle home, had consumed it, and had found it delicious. First of all, as to consuming food items returned by a customer, gross (which also suggests that I don't believe she actually did). Second, because of the high rate of skunky wine, I retract my recommendation. By the way, each bad bottle also had seal issues, so maybe it was something specific to a particular run of bottles.

Second, Jen and went to Sturgeon Bay and saw the matinee of "Soul Surfer". Yes, it was a Sunday, but, if you are a cheap bugger and if the weather is annoying you, a matinee is an excellent waste of money. Anyway, I liked it. You probably already know the beginning, middle, and end, but you know the Charlton Heston 10 Commandments also and yet you still watch. Since there really can't be a plot spoiler, the basic line is this. A young, talented surfer loses her left arm to a shark attack. Despite the odds, she both lives and re-learns her surfing skills to become a pro surfer.

It is a softly Christ affirming movie. The family is Christian and their faith plays a role in the plot. I liked it. I am not recommending it as I don't know your tastes, and it is definitely a "type" movie. But if you like a feel good movie with a faith component, you will probably like this one. I usually only tear up in movies when a nice car gets destroyed, but this one got to me a number of times. I remember two times in particular. First was when the youth group leader quoted Jeremiah. I don't exactly know why, but the profession of faith through the public acclamation of scripture always gets me. The second was when the dad had a one-armed surf board prepared for the girl who lost her arm. Must be a dad/daughter thing. I liked it, squishy as it was, and, given that God is in control of all things, must have needed to see it.

One discordant thing that really hit me (regarding the movie) was that, at a deeper level than ever before, I felt really old, like decrepit old. Not a good feeling and I am not sure what that means. And why did God have me be born and live in Wisconsin rather than Hawaii? That can't be right.

Third, there are a number of things for which each of us need to give our parents thanks. In my case, that includes the introduction to Dave Brubeck. I read once that he explained his love of weird rhythm from watching the differing tempo of pumped water drops dripping into cattle watering tubs. Whatever. I love what he has done and how what he has done has done to me. Thanks Mom and Dad.

Finally, in going over the next set of legal filings for my fight with the DOR I re-visited the "delinquent taxpayer" website. I am no longer listed. Why, I am not sure (although, obviously, I agree). I love how the tax man does things without notice. Anyway, in looking up my status, I saw others listed, some of whom I know. It actually made me think of the book, "The Millionaire Next Door". Both are worth reading. The point of the book is that most millionaires live lives of quiet simplicity. It is their understated lifestyle which made them millionaires. The point of the delinquent tax list is to shame. While I did not know that to be the point of the government, I will pass on that for now and simply say this; if you are interested in gossip, don't check it out. Speaking as one who once was, those listed don't need that.

However, just as you may not know that there is a millionaire next door, if you go on the site to be humbled by the fact that someone you may know is fighting to keep face in spite of daunting odds, I encourage you to check it out. The difference in appearance between the millionaire next door and the tax delinquent next door is largely non-existent. Use the information gathered by either of these resources to be non-judgmental. Neither looks that different from yourself and, absent a few life circumstances, neither is different. As I said, it's humbling stuff.

Now, for being a diligent reader, you get a picture cookie from last year, about the same time minus half a month, with a different look than what is out my window right now. Yes, the water is 180' below. And yes, it is that clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment