Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Just A Fun Small Town Story

The store was closed yesterday so Jen and I decided to jump on the day and make the most of only the second dry, warm day this spring. Of course, by the time we woke our way through a couple of cups of coffee, checked the weather and emails, practiced our French, and tried one last fix on the dying water heater, it was no longer all that early.

Then the phone rang and a friend called and asked if we could drop off the bikes we had been storing for her. And we decided to go to the Y and work out. And take showers as long as they had hot water which we didn't have. And we decided to go open Pam and Kevin's place for them and leave some flowers for them. And that meant we might as well take a circuitous route to the Y.

So we drove down to the grocery store, bought a few groceries and some flowers, decided to drive past the new marina, from there went to drop off the bikes, then to open the condo and finally to the Y.

We had a nice time working for the rest of the day clearing part of the field, making a kayak rack for the truck, and cleaning the boat in preparation for dropping it in the water. In the evening we ran down to Pam and Kevin's, watch the sunset with some good friends and better wine (or maybe I have that backwards), and got back home in time to shut the chickens in before the last light dropped out of the west. In fact, the only unsettling thing was that, when we got back from the Y, I noticed that there were tire prints in the drive that were not mine. Yes, I am wound a little tight.

This morning, I couldn't find my wallet. I actually don't carry it on me much, but I always know where it is. I mentioned to Jen to watch for it, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. In replaying the prior days events, I knew I had taken it to pay for the groceries, but I didn't have it now and the only last place it could be was between the cushions in the truck. But it wasn't there either.

I mentally retraced my steps and remembered one difference. The grocery store we go to insists on carrying your groceries to your car (I'm not joking). This time, though, instead of carrying them, the clerk brought them out in the cart. When we got to the side of the truck I realized that I really didn't want them in the front as we had plenty of other stuff up there, but, instead, wanted the bag handles tied and the bags put in back. I remembered grabbing the bags to tie and move and realized that I had probably put my wallet down (I never carry it in my pocket) in order to do that and had forgotten to grab it again. So I figured I would call the grocery store and see if they had it.

By this time I was driving over to open the store. As I walked in the back door, the phone was ringing. It was the clerk from another store around the corner. She had seen Jen's car go by and wanted to call right away to let me know that she had my wallet. I started laughing, and she went on to tell me the story. Apparently, I did indeed put my wallet down somewhere on the truck. When I turned the sharp corner to turn down to the marina, it slipped off and landed on the road.

The county happened to be running the street sweeper in town and found it as the ground there way around that corner. The sweeper driver gave it to his boss who took off and drove over to our place to give it back to me. When I wasn't there he drove over to the store only to find out that the store was closed on Mondays. But he knew the store around the corner was open and so he drove there and gave it to her to give to me. She had actually already called yesterday, just in case we stopped in but then, as mentioned, quickly called again when she saw Jen's car go by. And, most importantly, now I know why there were tire prints in my driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment