Thursday, March 31, 2011

F8 And Be There

Over the past few years there have been a number of commercials and movies which use some new freeze-frame technology which halts the action but allows the camera to continue panning, continually shifting the perspective while the intensity of the moment suspends. Lately I feel like that. It seems that I have this third party perspective from which I can see my person in the midst of life's intensity and chaos. I am in the middle of the frame and a million shards of glass are exploded into space. But there is no fear. In the midst there is a peace, a physical stillness, which transcends the chaotic. I know, at a root level, it will be OK.



Ultimately I think this is a good thing. I explained this phenomenon to someone yesterday and he thought it was not just symbolic, but the actual work of the Holy Spirit protecting me. I don't know. It may well be, but, at this time, I am leaning toward a more psychological explanation (don't get me started on the separation of Christianity and psychology (oh wait, I already did and there isn't!). But, to the extent they are complimentary but different, I think this is more a shift in my understanding of who I am and how I need to operate in this world.  In essence, I think that I need to be more focused on the security of being my own God-image bearer and less influenced by the whims of those around me and the noise of a secular world.

The thing I worry about is some level of disconnect. The truth is I have some near bi-polar issues. The chemical/biological distinction between genius and madness is fine. I choose to think that I am more on one side than the other. Some would say I err on the side I chose; others would say I err on the comparison at all and that I am far removed from either. In any case, I do consider the possibility that this is some mental deconstruction of self and that I operate in a bifurcated reality. But, in the end, I don't think so. There is a peace and reality which seems transcendent. As I understand it, that is somewhat anathema to mental displacement.

On a related note, a while back I was reading an article on one of National Geographics more prolific photographers. He related a story in which, for the 437th time, he was asked, "How do you take such amazing pictures?" He snapped back, "f8 and be there." While I understand that his answer was the result of the frustration of the oft repeated, somewhat imbecilic question, I find a lot of truth in the answer.

As a matter of fact, it has become one of my favorite quotes. What he was trying to convey was that a lifetime of artistic development and natural gift cannot be summed up into a sound bite of advice duplicate-able by anyone who happens to own a camera. In the end, talent, which I identify as technique developed gift, is important. If you don't know what f8 is in photographic terms, go do some learning. Acquire the basic skill set to intelligently approach the chore at hand. God gave you a brain; use it.

However, his comment is deeper than that. f8 was the technical. Be there is the action. All the technical skill and theoretic knowledge in the world won't do a bit of good if you fail to show up. So show up. Be engaged. Go ready to get the photo. Be there. Had he never been out in the field, none of his skills would have produced anything. We have to be actively engaged in life. If you are never out seeking opportunity to live, experience, and love, your relational skills are for naught. Active involvement is to technical skill what works are to faith. You know, the whole hollow gong and clanging cymbal thing ...

So, I hope, this growing awareness of self, separate from daily noise, is not a distancing from relationship, but a grounding. It is a technical certainty which should allow a more complete involvement with reality as I can assume the skill set sufficiently complete and focus more on the experience. Reality, relationship, and freedom are the 'be there' components so often missing. I really don't want to miss anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment