Monday, March 14, 2011

Light! More Light!

We have arrived at one of my favorite times of year. I like December 10th. It usually marks the earliest sunset of the year. I like January 4th as it usually marks the latest sunrise of the year. They both also happen to be birthdays of two of my kids. I like December 21st and I like to start a large fire and drink mulled wine and have people over. While it has some pagan overtones, for me it is a celebration of the anticipation of seasons I love.



But this time of year, I get my favorite seasonal date. In fact, it is my opinion that Goethe was actually getting delusional but all excited about daylight savings time when he yelled out the title call because I love the spring daylight savings time change. I really appreciate that it is light out later at night. I am never bored with the instantaneousness of it. After the slow crawl of season's change, I wake one morning to find the world still dark and, later that same day, discover that I'm lying under my truck changing the oil at 7:13 in the evening and I can still see what I am doing. It's like a seasonal cosmic slap; a wake up call of light and shadow.



Mostly, of course, what I like is the promise of what's to come. Just like the rainbow promise, I find anticipation, security, love, peace, and care. And, by that bright sense of what's to come, I am more able to find purpose in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment