Sunday, March 13, 2011

Do-It-Yourself Messiah Kit!


So I completely forgot to start the sourdough starter this past week and only realized my mistake today when I went into the sort-of-kitchen to make a couple loaves of bread. Instead, by cheating with a strong rye ale beer, I made bread that mimics some of the flavors without the preparation. I used my beer/herb bread recipe (which I don't think I've mentioned here but which is probably my best bread recipe to date) as the most basic starting point but really changed it around to come up with a great, savory, chewy bread. Basic ingredients are:

5 cups high gluten whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tablespoons dry yeast
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon caraway seed
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pumpernickel rye

1 bottle New Glarus Smoked Rye Ale (a limited edition and a really good beer with a bite)
1/2 cup water
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/8 cup dark mollasses

35 minutes @ 375 degrees

This spring break is a first for us. Lars is in Santa Fe, Brynn just emailed from Prague, and Hannah decided on Wednesday to go with three other UW-RF kids to the Grand Canyon for a hiking/camping trip. They left on Friday. So Jen and I are really at home alone and it's been since January 20th that any child was around. The other night, not doubt due to the high-life we now enjoy sans kids, we fell asleep at 8:00. Pitiful.

While the bread was rising I did a bunch of cleaning and organizing in the real living room area in hopeful preparation of hanging drywall once I get a chance to pick up a drywall lift from my friend Mark in Milwaukee. I think he reads this blog and I am hoping that by mentioning his name, he'll be so honored that he will drive it up here himself and save me the trip.

Where I had intended to head, though, was to mention the Messiah. I mean the musical one, not the flesh and spirit one. I have managed to leave a good amplifier and my best speakers setup in the living room. We can connect a laptop or Zen or whatever to it and it's nice to still have all our music even while things are in other ways chaotic. While poking around at the bread and the cleaning, I put the Messiah on, loudly, and sang, loudly.



I love the Messiah as part of this advent season. As a matter of fact, this is an open invitation to join me, in spirit or in person, for my annual critical Messiah listen. On the eve of Easter, after the day is otherwise done, I arrange the speakers and our "mine feets don't touch chair" for optimal sound and, after settling in, listen to the entire Messiah in preparation for the Easter Resurrection. If you are coming to join me, let me know ahead of time so I can setup properly for whomever will be there.

This is a serious listen though and not just another performance. First of all, the libretto is straight scripture. This is 'read the red and pray for the power' 101. Secondly, it's good music. I know there are some relatives of mine who pride themselves in being social deconstructionists and delight in dismissing the Messiah as either overdone, or not musically erudite, or overly showy, or having been writing for hormonal purposes. And I admit that I have a comfort with some of the same deconstructionist motivations. But not with the Messiah.

I will agree with a few of their comments to a slight extent. The Messiah has its musical strengths (like the aria "He that dwelleth in Heaven" or the last musical phrase of "All we like sheep") and also has its moments of weakness (like the first half of the Hallelujah chorus). It's admittedly true that it is typically done in an overly glossy way where the performance gets in the way of the music and words. But done right, as a total story, it is magnificent. And, as far as I am concerned, there is only one 'right'. If you have not had the opportunity to listen to the recording done by Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music, you have not heard the Messiah.


http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Messiah-Watkinson-Elliott-Hogwood/dp/B000004CXU



Get a copy. Do not just pop it on as background music (at least not the first time you listen to it). It's 3 discs. It takes a while. Get your self comfortable and set with equipment that can really allow you to hear it. This doesn't have to be much. If you load it onto your Ipod, go splurge for a pair of $20 - $50 headphones (not the in-ear type) and use that. It's a great way to listen deliberately. And that's what I am advocating. Listen deliberately. Listen critically.  This is Christ's story. This is the message for all men. This is the Messiah.

No comments:

Post a Comment