Sunday, February 20, 2011

Snowy Sunday Afternoon

They have been predicting quite a bit of snow for today and tomorrow. Snow is not the biggest problem for us, but snow with wind (which is also predicted) can be a huge deal. Our driveway, due to the easement location, runs for about 800' along a fence row of rocks and maple trees. Wind driven snow can really pile up along that fence row and a few inches of snow, combined with a 20 mph wind, can add up to drifts 4' high. At that point we are landlocked until John can come and use his 8' wide snow blower to clear us out. That can range from an hour or two to a day or two. I've found it pays to be prepared.

So today was a day of worship and preparation. I sang at church this morning, Jen's cough subsided enough for her to join me, and the afternoon was spent making sure things were in order for the coming snow. I put a new round bale in for the horses, put away a few things which had been left outside, and recovered the canoes and kayaks as last week's freaky wind had blown the tarp and two of the canoes off the storage rack. In addition, on the way home from church, we stopped at the grocery store and picked up a few things, the most important of which were dog food and more wine.

In the late afternoon I made two loaves of bread from a rye/molasses/orange-zest-and-spices recipe I came up with a few weeks ago. I also finished the bottle of 2009 Pacific Rim Gewurztraminer which I had started a couple of days ago. A good wine, but better the first day than the third. Part of our house is closed off for the coldest of winter and I actually opened it up and started the wood stove in that area for awhile, but soon decided with this new weather system moving in that it wasn't worth the effort.

And so this week quietly winds down. The kids are all at college, Jenny is just getting over bronchitis, and so it's just the two of us with way too many animals. Tomorrow the store is closed, so it also is likely to be a quiet day, especially if we can't get down the driveway. I need the time of rest. I think the balance of the week is going to be difficult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment