Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lost In Translation

I had a conversation the other day which I had to pass on to you. Obviously, I talk a lot about relationship. I also recognize that there are quite a few definitions for relationship. Apparently this can cause some confusion.

Up here there are quite a few old family names with many branches and members. In fact, I've been told that there is a standing rule that no one who lives north of Sister Bay can date any one else north of Sister Bay. Apparently there was a family reunion a few years back where a husband and wife both received invitations. Separately.

Anyway, trying to keep the names and connections straight is sort of a county-wide pastime. The other day I was talking to a Bob Brainerd about buying some lumber. Part way through our conversation he alluded to his wife having worked for the county Parks Department. Something in my mind clicked and I asked, "Oh, are you related to June Brainerd?"

A horrified look crossed his face and he barked, "No, she's just my wife!" I guess I'll never figure out how they had children ...

No comments:

Post a Comment