Saturday, May 14, 2011

Looking Forward To Going Upstairs

We had two nice days in a row. Unfortunately, they occurred last week and it was the only time this year that we have had two nice days in a row. Today was wet, cold, and windy.  I look forward to more soft, sweet days of summer warmth and languorous evenings. Not only are they excellent in and of themselves, but they bring the opportunity to go upstairs.

Upstairs, for us, since we live in a one story house, is the roof of the north wing. That portion of the house has a 1:4 single pitch roof. We have a ladder that permanently stays leaned against the east side, the low side, of that roof. Once up and on, it's quite easy to walk around but I also made a small platform of inverted angle which provides a flat deck large enough for a few people to sit. This is our upstairs.

I love to take my cup up in the morning and feel the dual warmth of coffee and rising sun. In the mid-day it provides an occasional nap spot or meteorological station to watch the storm clouds form. In the evening and into the night it is best used as a point from which to bid the day adieu and watch the stars find their stage marks.

Today it is too cold, too wet, too windy. Tomorrow will likely also prove poor reason for use. But next week ... next week holds the hint of promise and the forecast of days of sufficient loveliness to beckon us upstairs to the mystery of a world fourteen feet above ours.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it sure will be nice once the current weather front lifts. Over here, across the lake, it was rainy, gloomy and the wind was blowing out of the north east. During a break in the weather I decided to take my mountain bike and ended up heading 25 miles to Holland via the backroads. Half way there the heavens opened and I was drenched. But worse, since I was on dirt roads, they softened and soon I was cover, head to toe, with mud.

    ReplyDelete